Saturday, January 1, 2011

I Resolve

I resolve ...

Oh, wait a minute, that isn't right.  I don't do resolutions.  I mean, seriously, in the entire history of humanity what are the number of people that have actually kept their New Year resolutions?  It has to be pretty freaking low because no one I know has done it and I am sure that it is the same for you.

So no resolutions again this year.

What about goals?  Well, I've got some and they have been on the list for a good while now.  Some are being actively pursued.  Some are on deck waiting to have their turn.

Goal #1.  In the here and now I am working on shedding 200 lbs.  As of last week's weigh in this goal was  69.60% complete.  This is the big goal.  It is number one on the list and quite frankly the one that I never thought I would be able to accomplish.  Yet, here I am planning for a future at goal weight.  There are times when I want to go back to 370 lb me and give her a hug and let her know everything is going to be alright.  I still feel her pain.  It haunts me to this day because it shaped so much of how I relate to people and view the world at large.  I'm working on fixing that.  It is like goal 1.1.

Goal #2.  I have opened a savings account to fund my reconstructive surgery.  As of the first paycheck this year I am actively dumping as much money into this account as I can reasonably part with every time I get paid.  The budget for this is still being worked out.  There are things I don't actually need and there are some that I'm not giving up.  I figure I have a few more days to get this in order and then it is go time.  The thing about losing 200 lbs that you have carried for two decades is that there is a lot of skin that needs to be trimmed and tucked.  It has always been my plan to get a complete overhaul once the weight was shed.  Well that time is getting pretty frakking close.  I am going the whole nine yards here - total upper and lower body lifts and a slight breast reduction.  I don't need to be a DD anything.  I'm thinking a 38 C/D will suit me just fine.

Goal #3.  Go back to school.  Other than being obese for half of my life this is my biggest regret.  I don't have a college education.  Thankfully the good Lord graced me with above average intelligence and I have been able to carve a very satisfying career for myself without that piece of paper.  Yet I still want it.  I need it.  I will spend the first few months of this year wrapping up the weight loss and then enroll in classes for the summer semester.  A trip to the counselor's office will be in order to see if I need to start over or can retain my previous credits.  I want a degree in Computer Science (my chosen field) but I think I am going to take some interior design classes as well.  I spend a lot of my time watching design shows or surfing the net reading up on color theory etc.  Maybe I will minor in that?  We'll see.

Goal #4.  Learn to drive.  I know, you are all like "WTH!  You don't know how to drive?"  Nope.  I don't really need to drive.  I live in a major city (Houston) with public transportation.  I always set myself up where my life can literally be spent within a 10 mile radius and I'm comfortable that way.  But I think it is time.  There are things I want to start doing that are probably going to involve having to drive so this is the year.  Plans are in the works to get lessons from a friend.

Goal #5.  Europe.  This is the reward for losing the weight.  I have always wanted to go but an incentive for the weight loss is that I actually go once the lbs are off.  A late summer or early fall trip to Ireland, London, Scotland and Paris is going to happen.

So there you have it.

2011 is going to be a great year.  I am going to get to goal weight, have surgery to complete the new me, continue my education, learn to drive and take a European vacation.

What are your goals?

Oh, and Happy New Year y'all!

12 comments:

the strawberry said...

I'm with you on the "no resolutions" wagon!! I have goals and plans, and that's it. Some people say it's the same thing, but the jedi-mind trick works for me so who cares?

I think it's awesome that you've been saving for surgery all along- my mom had been overweight for over 25 years, so she had a ton of loose skin. She's admitted before that it was part of why she slowed down the loss and eventually just stopped and reversed. It's kind of disheartening to know that after all the work, it's going to be there, but I've taken the attitude that it will still be healthier. I like your approach much better though!!!

Here's to an awesome new year!

Karen Butler Ogle said...

Resolutions don't work for me either. I'm still working on setting some reasonable goals. I wish you the best with your. So exciting to see what other people plan for their next year.

Ice Queen said...

I don't "do" resolutions, either. I see something that needs attention, I deal with it. Or not. I do set goals, but they aren't tied to any specific holiday date or time. They just are.

Your goals sound fabulous. And I have no doubt that you will crash each and ever one of them!

Vegan Chick Pea said...

I hope you reach all your goals. You did well picking attainable ones that you can get to. You'll do it. You've come so far. You know what you're capable of. And you can do anything. ;)

Deb said...

Great goals! You have much to look forward to in 2011!

Tammy said...

Resolutions, goals, whatever they are, your list looks great. How exciting is it that you will reach goal THIS year? It's freaking exciting! You have made such great progress and are well on your way. The European vacation sounds like a wonderful reward. Happy New Year Kimberly!

als said...

That's a great list, and you're an amazing woman, Kimberly! You well deserve a European vacation as a reward, not to mention the surgery! How inspiring!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I don't do resolutions either. If I decide to do something, I see no need to wait until a certain day, I just do it. (or try to).

I don't drive either, I have a license but haven't driven in years. I work at home and hate driving so I make my husband do it. :-)

Lisa said...

I love that you want to go back and give the old you a hug :o) All I want to do to the old me is go smack myself in the back of the head and say "why the hell are you eating so much crap?? knock it off!" I've never been a touchy feely kind of person, can you tell lol. Happy new year!!

Beth said...

Oh, Kimberly, what an inspiring list. I see someone for whom life has just split wide open, it's all there for the taking, you just go on and seize each day. This will certainly be an exciting year for you.

And when you come to London - we must meet up for a cuppa tea!

You knock 'em dead.

Unknown said...

Great Goals!

migong said...

cheap nfl jerseys
cheap mlb jerseys

Post a Comment

Talk to me!